[SEL] OT - another question....

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Aug 24 20:35:35 PDT 2004

Sort of engine related, I suppose.
First, thanks to all who responded on the camper question. After talking
with friends and the comments from the list members, looks like we'll wait
until spring and go for a non-5th wheel hitch camper. As was mentioned,
where would I put anything on the trip over or back if using it for a show?
And we found that if you watch for "show specials" and such, one can buy new
for not a lot more than used. So we're going to pass on this one for sale up
the road, nice as it is. We'll wait.

On to the next question. 11 LARGE dump-truck loads of dirt/clay later and
looking for probably 7 or 8 more, I'm getting the back yard built up a bit.
Goal - fill the "swamp" and make a good place to park stuff like trailers,
etc. and my wife says "why not put yourself up a building while you are at
it and this time don't make it too small".
Much of the dirt work was done using my JD 425 lawn tractor with a home-made
front blade. Took about 8 hours and 3 or 4 tanks of gas and some welding of
the blade brackets a few times, but getting there. Neighbor borrowed a 4010
JD with a rear blade and helped tonight.
The only thing - what sort of building should I be considering? Now the
timing is quite a ways off - at least a year, but need to decide a size and
type so I know how to prepare the site. I figure probably about 24' x 24',
Barbara says to build it with a large overhang on the east side to put my
steel wheels, horse drawn mower and such under out of the rain.
There is a nice metal building with such an overhang, what do you call the
barn-style roof - gambrel or whatever?
Should it be a Wood or metal building?
Roof type? Hip or other?
Building the site up good so it will stay dry - when it rains hard we take
on about a half mile's worth of rain water from the fields to the east of us
- it turns the back yard into a creek. Also need to tile......... So far the
"pad" and drive extension is about 4 to 5 feet high off the yard. That
clay/dirt packs hard! Once you drive on it a blade won't touch it.
Will probably move the tractor (F20) to the new area, put Barbara's eventual
Model A in the main garage where the F20 is now. Lawn and garden stuff will
go there, making more room for my engines and shop stuff. May put the big
Chapman out there when it's done (if I ever get it done!)
This is taking a LOT of dirt - possibly up to 20 loads, plus black dirt
later to taper it off and plant grass.

Bill
Runnells, IA