[SEL] Yardbirds, Portland & Thieves

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Sun Aug 15 13:30:16 PDT 2004

As you know, I decided to cancel the Portland show trip for myself,
Jennifer and Josh, since we just bought and fixed up a house. But I'd
already phoned and ordered some of the "yard birds" and other
sculptures made from scrap iron by James E. Carter of "Carter's
Creations," who displays his wares in the big vendor building at
Portland. So I arranged with him to drive up and meet him at his shop
yesterday and brought home some really nice pieces he'd made. Got a
great big pink flamingo, two medium size flamingoes, two turkeys, and
some new pieces he's introduced since last year, a big blue heron, a
road runner, an ostrich, and a buzzard. (The last one I call "Darth
Vulture," as he really reminds me of the Star Wars bad guy.) I'd also
asked him to make me a purple flower with faucet handles for blossoms,
which I'd admired in the past but he hadn't had for the last few years.
Turns out he'd quit making them because he'd about run out of the
faucet handles, but he made up three sets with the last he had. Mr.
Carter's retired from a Chrysler plant in Muncie, which was erected in
1906 as the Maxwell automobile factory. These handles were from that
building's plumbing shutoff valves. They were a type common through the
1930s, but could go back to the original Maxwell plant. He's got
another flower to sell, but plans to keep the last one since he worked
there. (He made another flower set with newer handles that look like
"atoms.") I also picked up one little item, a bright green salamander
made from a spud wrench. He said he'd had that out on the table at a
show when a big, humorless old man growled at him "You ruined a good
spud wrench." Mr. Carter said "You must be a steel man." He said "I
reckon I AM!," pulling open his collar to show a small gold plated spud
wrench on a chain. Apparently when construction steel workers retire
they get one of those instead of a watch like Mr. Carter got from
Chrysler. He has lots of other neat creations, including a brand new
pig he hasn't finished.

Mr. Carter's home is in very easy driving distance of Portland. If I
hadn't been in a hurry to get back home I'd've cruised over there to
see who was already there. Which brings me to why he's stopped handing
out business cards at Portland: There are con men/burglars cruising the
shows, asking for cards and inquiring about people's business. They'd
ask questions to reveal the type of equipment one has in his shop, like
"How'd you cut this piece out?" (Plasma cutter.) "How many days you
gonna be working this show?" "If I need to get in touch with you, is
someone home to answer the phone?" Then, after establishing that the
vendor's got valuable, portable stuff, nobody's home, and it's in easy
driving distance, they go take what they want. Portland vendors and
exhibitors, beware. The bad guys are there, and seem like normal
friendly, curious show visitors.

I had a nice drive up and back. Tried a new route over the Kentucky
mountains that I'd previously avoided, thinking it'd be a difficult
drive, but I actually like it better. I only put on 798 miles for the
whole trip, where it would've been 1000 with my earlier routes, and
although a good bit's two-lane I still made good time.

Since I hauled this stuff off a week and a half before the Portland
show starts, he'll have time to paint up some "critters" from stock
he's already welded and take them along in the space my stuff would've
taken up, so he'll have a good selection. Go check him out in the big
white building! HIs wife also sells neat paintings of farm scenes on
old saw blades, golf scenes on old club heads and such, in the next
booth.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA