[SEL] Miami Project - Another Hunk of Iron #3

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Thu Aug 12 19:32:01 PDT 2004

> JB,
>
>     The biggest problem you would have would be holding the sleeve in
> place.  If you were to bore it out enough to create a water jacket you
> would then have to create some sort of way to attach it.  You could get
> creative and do a bunch of milling, etc.  I have, from time to time,
> seen the T cylinders and parts floating around.  You can tie up a bunch
> of $$ in patterns, casting, machining, etc.  I think if you're willing
> to make this a long range project, you can find the parts you need.
> Thanks for the nice comments.

Tommy, I have two running T's and an extra base missing the cylinder and head. This is just a project I wanted to try. I would make the core with a small neck on each side, this would form the water jacket and the necked down part would leave an area to be bored to hold the sleeve, it would be a wet sleeve. In my racing days I repaired several blocks that lost a piston and beat the cylinder out. I just bored the top and bottom of the remaining cylinder, left a step at the bottom to capture the sleeve. The head secured the top. I can do the machine work myself, have done some pattern making, and have an old pattern maker friend that still works part time at the foundry. If I get it done before he retires I can get it poured free. The T cylinder mounts on the bottom flange, easier machining than your engine, less to align.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA