[SEL] Fairbanks

Grant Weir weirgrant at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 13:54:33 PDT 2004

>From: "Dave Ernst" <shop at cccomm.net>
>Subject: [SEL] Fairbanks
>Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:14:46 -0700
>
>What year is a Fairbanks Z, 3 hp with a serial number of 33,588?
>I just acquired it. It has an ignitor, but I don't see any provisions for a
>mag. Would it be coil & battery operated?
>
>Dave

Hi Dave,

   I have two of those engines.  I looked them up and once and found that FM
only made that engine from 1917-1919 so I guess that narrows it down a bit.
  Both engines have ignitors, but one uses cam gear driven Sumter magneto,
and the other uses an ignitor bracket mounted Plugoscillator magneto.
Yours sounds like the Plugoscillator style as those engines do not have
magneto mounting lugs cast into the base like the other style does.  I think
those Plugoscillator mags must have been pretty crappy, because they tend to
be hack-sawed off and tapped out for a spark plug more often than not.  Does
yours have the obligatory farmer-added "hacksaw blade screwed to a chunk of
fir" spark coil contact off of the cam gear?  :-)

Here are some parts:

http://www.hitnmiss.com/6.htm

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
first two months FREE*.