[SEL] Pin Hole In The Hopper

Chuck Balyeat kerogas at the-i.net
Fri Aug 6 16:13:04 PDT 2004

 man , that turned into a thesis , sorry , just waiting for my ride ;-)

>   Need some Pro advice , My 1-1/2 Simplicity has a pin hole in the cyl.
and
> I get a small tail of bubbles in the water hopper under compression , as
far
> as I can see no water is getting into the cylinder while running or at
rest
> , the engine runs great but am I going to harm the engine by running it or
> does it need a fix ?

water in the cyl will eventually stick the rings so you'll probly dump the
water
and run her dry  before you set her up . thats a pain sorta
a few drops of water in the wrong placeon the plug/ignitor inside the conm
chamber will
 make the ignition get weird on ya too .
 Normally on very hot days with 20 people watching you fail to start it . I
had a Nelson like that
finally had to braze it . 6 inch frost crack

 I hope this is not a dumb question that is messing up
> another perfectly clean chaukboard , will JB weld fix it ?

 if it is accessible , I'd say some epoxy and a sheet metal screw would do
wonders .
You will have to sandblast or grind as it wont stick for too long
I say a screw  as the resulting explosions will be trying to push the epoxy
out like a zit
and if it stays stuck , then it worked , otherwise .......
If it is on the bottom and you cant get at it from the water jacket
AND it is above the area that the rings ride ,one from the inside would be
the ticket
Maybe a wee machine  bolt with the threads beat over the nut would feel
safer .
If it rotted all the way throughyou know the cylinder has got to be pretty
thin
elsewhere too . Like an old gas tank . "made of lace " It would be nice to
take the head off
so you could put a finger on each side and get a feel for what is left to
work with .
All you need to make the head gasket is a ball pien hammer , so jump in
and so greasy you cant take pictures.Stick the  point of your pocket knife
in
the hole , scrape it around and see how big it gets and choose a short screw
, grind it  off if its
too long . The chicks will think you are a genius !

As per  the chalkboard , I meant the math required to figure out a proper
gov spring  . None required . I trust she is set nice now , or she wouldn't
be blowing bubbles ?
Quite a feeling aye ? Most empowering too .
SEL is a giant never ending piece of scratch paper,so scribble on Bro !

Chuck  Balyeat
On the Nueces , Texas