[SEL] Miami Project - Another Hunk of Iron #5

Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Aug 5 21:31:11 PDT 2004

Now its time to put it all together.  As I mentioned, what was left of
the engine had a great deal of original paint.  I didn't have time to do
a paint job on it so just to keep it from rusting (as new castings do) I
bought  a couple of cans of satin black spray paint.  The original color
on the engine was black.  I did this just to keep the rust away.  It
turned out well enough that I may just leave it as it is.

The photo is poor as the lighting is bad.  Here is a photo of the
complete engine assembled:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=30047007&p=69083036

Here's a shot of the working end of the sideshaft.  You can see the
governor, fuel injector, intake, etc:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=30047007&p=69083039

Here's another shot.  You can see the big exhaust valve box at the
bottom.  Boy, was this a job to machine everything where it would line
up and fit.  Mostly luck that it fit:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=30047007&p=69083040

The big exhaust valve box.  Pretty unique how it works:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=30047007&p=69083041

A rear view of the engine.  The paint on the flywheels and base is
original.  I never cleaned the surface rust off the crank throw but 30
minutes with some scotchbrite will take care of that:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=30047007&p=69083042

This is a repo tag I had made from the original:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=30047007&p=69083043

A side view of the engine:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=30047007&p=69083044

It was an enjoyable project but I don't know that I will ever tackle
something this massive again.  I want to again that Jerry Toews for his
generosity.  I will be bringing his original engine to Portland to deliver.

Hope I haven't been too long winded.  I had someone ask me a few weeks
ago how the project was going and I told them I would post photos and
info when I got a chance.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY