[SEL] Miami Project - Another Hunk of Iron

Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Aug 5 20:59:01 PDT 2004

I have periodically put some info on the SEL about my Miami project.
Some background for our newer SEL members:  I always wanted a Miami
engine.  They are quite unique with the Sideshaft located on top of the
crankshaft rather than below.  I could never find one however.   Finally
I found one that had been cannibalized.  The end of the cylinder had
been cut off, a wedge welded on the end of the piston, and all the small
parts were gone.  All that was there was the base, flywheels, and
crankshaft, and 1/2 of a cylinder.  The piston and rod were there with
the attached wedge.  What was sad was that what was there was in
terrific shape.  No wear, no pits, no rust, probably 85% of the original
paint, etc.  I bought the parts from Jerry Toews and he had a complete
engine exactly like it.  He was extremely generous and offered to loan
me the complete engine to copy what I needed.  What a great offer from a
great guy.  I'll forever be indebted to him.  I will complete info on
the this project in several segments on the SEL and will label them 1,
2, 3, etc.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY