[SEL] Delco light plant questions

Michael Tucker mtucker at uky.edu
Wed Aug 4 07:28:18 PDT 2004

Howdy all,

I've got a couple of Delco light plant questions from my
father-in-law, Roger, that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.
Here's the scoop as he knows it as related to him by his brother.
The unit is a Delco light plant directly connected to its 32 volt
generator.  It has 2 flywheels only a couple of inches apart that are
about 14 inches in diameter.  The valve arrangement is exposed and
appears to work in a vertical type of arrangement.  He can pull the
flywheels through and seems to think that it has compression.  When
you pull it through the valves don't move so there seems to be a
problem there.  He didn't mention anything about a serial number.
Nothing special, either good or bad, about its condition so I assume
that means that it's not a rusted hulk.  He estimates the weight at
around 300#.

First, what is a range of dates for when this critter could have been
made?  Second, knowing only this information, is it worth $100
(transportation costs do not apply)?

Thanks for the help,
Mike
--