[SEL] John Deere 1 1/2hp E ignitor

Ed Herreid bigtime64 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 1 10:01:04 PDT 2017

Curt,

Pretty sure the points should be open.  When the igniter is tripped it closes quickly and then stays open.  Possibly one of the springs in reversed? If it is closed all the time the coil/mag is going to get hot.

Also common is the wiper on the mag part getting oily and slicked up and not making good contact.  Every once in a while I have to remove the little screw cap on top and take a pencil eraser with a rag covering and clean it up. Check the little contact on the end of the spring and clean it up if needed too.

Ed Herreid