[SEL] Spam> Re: Farmer's Math

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Fri Jun 24 14:43:06 PDT 2016

It psychological. Made everyone think the division was as specified.
Its only perception that counts. If you think it's fair then it is.
In this case  the deceased farmers original division by the number of
horses would could not result in a equal division of horses in any
way other then mathematical. So the math could never work out in a
real life division.  By adding a horse to the bunch it made the
number divisible by the requirements of the will. Each got
mathematically what was specified with the addition, then the left
over went back to the other farmer. Leaving the sons nun the wiser.
All because the math then worked by adding a horse.  Then taking away
the left over horse in the end, nun noticed the inequity. The eldest
son gained a half a horse. Middle son gained a little less then a
half of a horse and the youngest got a bit more then his mathematical
proper cut with two. But this kinda shit is what makes for good
family fights at will time. At division time a family can reduce
themselves to gnawing pennies in half to avoid feeling cheated and
families torn apart for life.   Mark

At 01:14 PM 6/20/2016, you wrote:
>A farmer died leaving his 17 horses To his three sons.
>
>When his sons opened up the will it Read:
>
>My eldest son should get 1/2 (half) of total horses;
>
>My middle son should be given 1/3rd (one-third) of the total horses;
>
>My youngest son should be given 1/9th (one-ninth) of the total horses.
>
>As it's impossible to divide 17 into half or 17 by 3 or 17 by 9,
>
>The three sons started to fight with each other.
>
>So, they decided to go to a farmer friend who they considered quite smart,
>
>To see if he could work it out for them.
>
>The farmer friend read the Will patiently, and after giving due thought
>
>He brought one of his own horses over and added it to the 17.
>
>That increased the total to 18 horses.
>
>Now, he divided the horses according to their father's will.
>
>1/2     of 18 = 9. So he gave the Eldest son 9 horses.
>1/3rd of 18 = 6. So he gave the Middle son 6 horses.
>1/9th of 18 = 2. So he gave the Youngest son 2 horses.
>
>Now add up how many horses they Have:
>
>Eldest son  9
>Middle son  6
>Youngest son  2
>
>TOTAL = 17
>
>Now this leaves one horse over, so, the farmer friend takes his
>horse back to his Farm.
>
>Problem solved!
>
>(Scratch your head over how that was  accomplished....and let me know )

Mark Shulaw
454 County Road 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817
USA
Galations 3:27-29

Frappi at wcoil.com / 419.358.5206  Home
Hobby Collector and Dealer in John Deere
and Hercules Engines.
Maytag Multi-Motor Engine parts.
VISIT the Maytag Collectors Club at  www.Maytagclub.com
Where Is John Galt