[SEL] winch batteries,, sorta on topic

bill boyce bboyce at swat.coop
Wed Dec 16 08:50:31 PST 2015

Hello all,,, I need some advice on battery selection and solar amp/watts. I
just purchased an 18,000 # winch that i will mount on the front of a trailer. And have decided to
mount  2 dedicated batteries on the trailer. First question is what type of battery is best suited
for this? Would  deep cycle marine batteries be the best choice? Or would heavy duty automotive
type batteries be ok?
Next question is how much solar panel output would be needed to keep the batteries topped off
when sitting idle? I know that they would need to be fully charged when parked,  so the panel would
be used for just maintaining the charge.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Bill Boyce
Arkansas