[SEL] Engine Hygiene

David Rotigel rotigel at me.com
Sat Dec 6 16:08:48 PST 2014

I've used Gunk on all my engines for years. It has never done any damage to the old paint. Granted it leaves the old paint looking bleached out, but as Rob points out the linseed oil brings the colo(u)r right back. As far as softening the paint goes, I have never had that happen when using Gunk. (I, however, have never tried Gunk on a Lorenz. I will try that the next time Arnie brings his Lorenz to a show, and report back!) The problem I have with linseed oil is that it does not last. Penetrol, however, has now lasted on the engines that I have applied it to for several years now and shows no signs of dulling.
	Dave