[SEL] Spam> E450

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:18:21 PDT 2014

Bruce & Devin:

Thanks for the comments, really appreciate the input.

The bodywork is not so much of an issue as we can rebuild if need be, but
the plug situation goes back to 1999 and there are three sizes of repair
kits to repair the problem, plus new heads if you feel flush.The depth of
material only allows for 4 threads of engagement, and any seizure of the
threads in the ali casting will tear the threads out if you pull the plug
out with force.

We use Copaslip on our own V8's and take them out every 10000 miles to
check & gap. They are good for 80000 miles, we changed our first set at
60000 and they looked fine.

The weight carrying capacity of that rear compartment in the E450 is only
650kg or 1430# in old money. Take out the racks and tool cupboards.... The
big Ruston goes 1300kg or 2860# complete, the new Ruston (did I mention we
had bought another horizontal diesel?) is going to be lighter, but still
over that weight limit, and we don't seem able to be able to uprate the
chassis/axle weights in any way, so that one is probably a non-starter.

Sideways thinking:  We could take the three axles off the trailer and plonk
the whole thing onto a LWB truck chassis.

I'm also going to try and get my heavy goods licence reinstated, that will
enable me to go up to 32 tonnes with a rigid and drawbar trailer, that
should be enough.... :-)

Peter