[SEL] Cast iron welding

Ed Stoller edstoller at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 27 09:49:26 PDT 2013

Life is temporary and I always wanted to learn how to weld. My first major project is about 18 inches of crack in a WWII Onan generator block from being dropped. I am using a MIG, Silicone Bronze wire and Aragon  gas. I had planned to use Stainless Steel wire, but the Helium gas for it was much more expensive. I am also welding a crack in the CI muffler. I am doing short, less than and inch stitches and then letting it cool. So far, no new cracks. I think the MIG in not putting as much heat into the block as a stick welder would, but also think I am not getting much penetration, which I probably don't need any way. The main problem I have is that the weld seems to want to form large blobs. I am glad I started on the inside of the block where the weld will be out of site. The Bronze is easy to grind down and I expect to be able to drill it if I need to. My practice welds with flux core wire got much better with practice, But it looks like I have to live with the blobs of bronze.

Ed Stoller
New Fairfield,  CT,   USA
www.enginesandmagnets.com