[SEL] Short engine video...

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Wed Jun 19 21:46:28 PDT 2013

On Jun 19, 2013, at 6:13 PM, curt at rustyiron.com wrote:

> Rob,
> On your antique butter churn video you speak of "washing" the butter right
> after you pour off the buttermilk.
> Explain that a little more for me. Was the clear bowl you were kneading
> the butter in filled with tap water?
> Or is just kneading the butter and pressing the buttermilk out, what you
> are calling washing?
> Curt

Hi, Curt.
We’ve refined the technique since the video was shot. That was the first time we made butter and we were learning as we went.

When butter is churned, buttermilk is all mixed up with the butter. You drain off the buttermilk, then paddle the butter in the bowl to force out the buttermilk. Still there is a small amount left in the butter, and if left there, it will go rancid.

Washing is most easily accomplished by putting the butter in a big bowl in the sink, running cold water over it, and paddling the butter.  You can see clean water turn milky. Keep the water running slowly, keep paddling, and eventually the butter will get cleaner and cleaner.

When you grow bored, you’re done.

In case anyone is interested, here’s the video:
http://youtu.be/jk9MJNSsTpY