[SEL] 5 HP Acadia engine in Boat

kkinney at herculesengines.com kkinney at herculesengines.com
Mon Jul 15 20:40:27 PDT 2013

Thanks for all the complements guys.  Let's see if I can answer the questions posed here:
The engine is a 5 HP Acadia engine with an ignitor for ignition.
It is two cycle and direct connected to the driveshaft and propeller.
To reverse the boat you flip a switch that kills the battery.  While the engine is slowing down you retard the timing with the timing lever.  When it is just about to stop rotating you fill the switch and if all goes right it will kick against compression and reverse direction.  If it doesn't go right you run into the dock. We did get pretty good at changing engine direction.
The previous owner had put the outboard on the back of the boat.  We will be removing it first chance we get.
We controlled the speed mostly by adjusting the throttle in the carburetor.  Moving the timing lever didn't seem to change the speed much.
Arnie, I think I need to get a few more hours of running under my belt before we set sail on the Mississippi. :-)
Bo, yes, JB has a great event, we've been to it twice.  Hopefully next year we can take Putt Putt to Louisiana.
If anyone has additional questions please let me know.
Keith
www.herculesengines.com