[SEL] OT. Browser problem

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Mon Oct 1 16:56:13 PDT 2012

On Oct 1, 2012, at 1:08 PM, rdhaskell at juno.com wrote:

> Hi Skip.
> The extra d was just my typo.  I spent over an hour on the phone with
> AT&T.  They say everything is ok with my computer.  Had another friend
> here in town try and I think they are using AT&T, and they can't get
> through.
> I still can't connect with  irontrader.com

Attention George and Ron:

This is EXACTLY what I ran into recently with both www.rustyiron.com and www.wapa.us.

I just did a little testing, and I can connect to www.irontrader.com via Time Warner and OpenDNS. When using ATT and their DNS, it fails.

When I had this problem on my web pages, I called up Lunarpages, my hosting service. George, don’t you use Lunarpages, as well? Their tech guy put me on hold for about two minutes, and the problem was solved. I asked him what he did, and he said that he whitelisted my domains. I have NO idea how he can fix an ATT problem from the Lunarpages office, but he did. Apparently the problem is common enough where he knew the problem right away and knew exactly how to fix it.

Ron, and everyone else. You should really be using OpenDNS on your home computers and your routers. In a nutshell, all computers need a DNS. Your internet provider has one that you use, whether you know it or not. OpenDNS is dedicated to giving you a faster, more reliable and safer DNS. It’s FREE for home use. Depending on which free features you select, it can protect you from phishing schemes, botnets, adult content, or dozens of other icky stuff you don’t want. Running OpenDNS *might* solve your irontrader problem immediately. Go to www.opendns.com to read how to point your computer to their Domain Name Servers.

Rob