[SEL] Auger?

Nelson Johnsrud gop4evr at lsol.net
Wed Nov 28 09:51:53 PST 2012

Thanks Curt.  I suppose that could be done, especially since in the place I work, part of the manufacturing process begins in the machines as a round blank cut from a spool of sheet stock.  It would be a simple matter to acquire a few round blanks of an appropriate size.

I'm actually building a finished cabinet in our rear entry as a bin for storage of the wood pellets we use for heating.  Instead of a sliding door at the bottom to dump into the scuttle pail, I hit on the idea of using an auger, which has the advantage of halting the flow the moment you stop turning.  I thought there would be less opportunity for a spill.  If turning it with a crank is too time consuming or labor intensive, I have a small gear motor here that could be adapted for the purpose.  I don't want to go all Willie Wonka on this though.  A simple auger in a piece of PVC with a hand crank is simple enough, but a microprocessor controlled servo motor is probably above and beyond the call.  ;-)

And for Dave, we'll just call it my little "Manhattan Project."  ;-)

Nels Johnsrud
Manitowoc WI
gop4evr at lsol.net