[SEL] 7 inch rod journal bearing

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Fri Nov 9 16:02:10 PST 2012

When the local sugar mill was open I would stop by and see what was
going on in the machine shop. The mill bearings were on 18" shafts. They
would tin them with acid core solder paste and re babbitt them with a
babbitt wire, looked like solder. He would use a torch and melt it on
like you would with a brazing rod, they would mount it in the big
Cincinati Mill and bore them. When the mill closed I picked up a roll of
the babbitt, if you want to try it I can send you some.
J.B. Castagnos