[SEL] Wooden Split Pulley refurbish

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Tue Mar 27 15:14:22 PDT 2012

On Mar 27, 2012, at 2:54 PM, Arnie Fero wrote:

> Bob,
>
> A friend who works with wood a lot swears by stuff called "penetrating
> resin."
> http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/guide-to-furniture-finishes-ga2.htm
>
> I think using Quic Poly would probably do a similar job.

Funny you should say that, Arnie.

Our apple press, when we got it, had all original wood, but it was no longer “good.” The last 4” or so of the end grain on the uprights was all dried out and splintery.

I taped up around the sides with masking tape, then poured Kwik-Poly right into the end grain. It soaked right in, and within minutes was hard like a rock. That was a dozen years ago, and the repaired sections will probably last the rest of my life.

I didn’t expect it to work so well. Had I known, I would have put in more effort to make the masking tape dam perfect and to add color to the Kwik-Poly. It hardens up a little milky, and doesn’t like to take color after it’s hard.

Rob