[SEL] OT Ford lifter

sluggo54@hotmail.com sluggo54 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 17 14:15:35 PDT 2012

I remember my dad pulling lifters out of his 332 1959 Ford.  I don't remember for sure what had to come off, but I think it was just the valve covers and rocker shafts.  He made s tool by carefully putting three bends in a hacksaw blade, forming a tweezer with splayed-out feet on the business end.  He squeezed it together, inserted the frog feet into the top of the lifter, and pulled it out.  On a couple he had to wedge something down the tweezer to maintain grip.  Meantime, I made labeled containers to hold them so they would go back where they came from.  We boiled them to soften the varnish so they could be disassembled, then used denatured alcohol to remove the varnish.  Assemble, drop in a cup of oil for a few minutes, then back into the engine they went.
Ever after he used Royal Triton oil, and had no problems.
His next car was a Buick.

Bruce Younger
Testing  Hornady's new Zombie ammunition.