[SEL] OT - Lifter Question

jlb94 at juno.com jlb94 at juno.com
Fri Mar 16 13:11:59 PDT 2012

Thanks to everyone that responded to my "taking a lifter out of my engine" OT question.
There sure is a wealth of information with the SEL members.
It was something I might be willing to try if it was possible.  I never gave it a thought about the pushrod holes in the head being smaller than the lifter diameter, even IF you could get it out of the lifter hole.
I know the engine could use a good flushing.  I might think of using 5W oil and give that a try.
In the last few years I stopped changing the oil.  It leaks so much oil that I usually just add oil when needed and change the filter every six months.
I'll have to dig out the old Ford Shop Manuals and see what the pictures tell me.
Oh Yes, - - - The engine is a 360 ci..   Back in 1984, I did something with the top of the engine and had to take off the intake.  Well, if I was that far, I might as well take out the tin and see what's under there.  And - Now that I'm this far,I might as well take off this - or - that and, being this far, I might as well pull the pan and look at the bearings.  And, being this far,  etc. etc. etc. - - - The end result was an engine rebuild.
I REALLY DO NOT want to get into that again on a 40 year old truck - - - But - - - I really DO LOVE THAT TRUCK !!!
Thanks again to everyone that responded.

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com - - - www.oldengine.org/members/betz
 ,-._,-.      http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz
 \/)"(\/
 (_0_)    "Properly trained,  A man can be dog’s best friend." (Cory Ford)