[SEL] Spam> OT - Ford Engine Lifter

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Fri Mar 16 10:31:59 PDT 2012

I've changed lifters on Chevy's without pulling the manifold, biggest
problem is getting the lifter out of the hole, you have to use a small
magnet and keep working it up and down with carb cleaner sprayed around
it. Once removed it can be fished out of the distributor hole. Run a
piece of tie wire down the pushrod hole and out of the distributor hole,
tie the lifter to it by making several wraps around it and bend the wire
to have it coming up like the pushrod. Feed it back in to the hole and
work it in to place. A little side marker bulb soldered to wires and run
under the manifold provides light to get a glimpse of whats going on.
Before doing this be sure you have good oil pressure, install a manual
gauge if necessary. It's common on Fords for the oil pump screen to
become clogged, starving the engine for oil. Stooping lets the trash
settle and gain pressure for a few minutes.
J.B. Castagnos