[SEL] Auto-Darkening Welding Helmets - Heads Up on Internal Batteries

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 02:40:49 PDT 2012

Like many, we have got an auto-darkening welding helmet, and while
they are great for general work, ours died recently after a year or so
of home workshop use.

It was advertised as 'Solar Powered' and 'No Battery Change Needed',
but on stripping the display module down, we find 2 X CR2430 Lithium
cells inside!  Both were flat, and wired in parallel. The capacity of
these cells is about 270-290 mAH each, so just over 570mAH capacity.
The cells are held in by hot-melt glue and the display PCB comes away
with the cells.

While the cells are commonly available, the cells in the helmet have
special welded on tags which solder to the display PCB, there are no
clips to snap the cells into.

We bought a 1500mAH computer back-up battery which had 7" wires and a
plug for the computer motherboard. We cut the plug off, unsoldered the
cells and connected the battery to the display circuit board (2 sets
of contacts are available on the display board) which immediately
activated the display.

The computer battery has velcro for sticking it down inside the
computer, we used that to fasten it inside the welding helmet, clear
of the head bands etc.

It's not a big job to do, but saves forking out for another helmet.

The battery we used is here:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/computer-backup-power-batteries/0594268/

Peter
--