[SEL] hot tube chimneys

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Thu Jan 5 16:44:10 PST 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 3:12 PM, Craig Morrison wrote:

> Guys,
>
>        What type of material should we be using for lining a hot tube chimney, as I have a buddy that has a few that have no linings in them and he feels that he is losing a lot of heat because of this, bearing in mind that it is quite a bit colder here in the U.K even in our so called summer.

Hi, Craig.
I’ve used some ceramic insulation sheets. It looks like felt, but it’s white. I’ve found that the insulation doesn’t make much difference at all here in SoCal. What makes a big difference for me is the wind. I have a couple engines, that when running at slow speed and not very hot, even a slight breeze on a warm day can kill them. Wind barriers, or a tractor guy standing on the windward side, might do the most good. Tractor guys produce a lot of wind on their own, so you have to be careful around an open flame.

Rob