[SEL] When You Go To Shows.....(OT?)

Nelson Johnsrud gop4evr at lsol.net
Fri Feb 24 09:38:33 PST 2012

Ok, I did it too, because I was once called upon to demonstrate my 'accent' by saying the words "North Dakota" (by an SEL member, no less).  The anticipated answer was apparently supposed to be something like "Nort Dakota."  Of course, knowing the test was on, I was careful to phonetically form my th sound.  Anyway, the survey got it pretty spot-on.  Quote:
"You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop.""
Yes, and it's a "bubbler" too . . . . .  ;-)

Nels Johnsrud
Manitowoc WI
gop4evr at lsol.net