[SEL] Crank handle attack

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu Aug 30 19:28:58 PDT 2012

G'day Patrick,

I'm glad to hear that you're not seriously injured.

It is worth while to post these "cautionary tales" lest we grow complacent
and forget that this olde iron can indeed bite us.

Years ago I had my 5 hp Petter "M" at a local show.  It was late in the
day and I had grown complacent.  For those of you who are not familiar
with the engine, it has a hand crank that looks like a disemboweling hook.
 And when the engine fires, the hook flies off the crankshaft quite
smartly.  The normal starting position is to have the engine backed up
onto compression, fit the crank, and WLF.  (Clarification of "WLF"
provided off-list.)  The body position is parallel to the engine so that
when the crank flies off the crankshaft, no body parts are in the flight
path.

When complacent, however, the body position ends up facing the engine with
the face looking down at the crank.  This results in the forehead getting
a really good SMACK when the crank flies off.  Fortunately there were no
little ones about, so I was free to vent my frustration!

See ya,  Arnie