[SEL] Ignitor Point Material

Orrin Iseminger obise at moscow.com
Sat Nov 26 22:10:26 PST 2011

On 11/26/2011 7:46 PM, Joe Prindle wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you to you all for the on and off list replies to my question about ignitor points. I am going to do some more reading about tungsten, how to machine it and what the risks are and then go from there.
> An off-list message from Stacy Leis indicated that Ted used a material called Meteor Metal and I am pretty sure that that is the stuff that Ted gave me. I will report back with details and photos of the project, which will probably start after Christmas.
> Thanks,
> Joe
>
> Joe Prindle
> Baraboo, WI USA
> "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy." Spike Milligan

Below my signature is what my notes have to say about Meteor metal.
     Regards,
         Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA
http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/menu.htm
So many projects.  So little time.

If you do an analysis of original igniter points, you will find that most
of the alloys used have a high nickle content.  While it was once a common
product, it is now tough to get.  I use a product called "Meteor Metal",
so named because it uses a similar alloy to that found in meteors.  It is
a high-nickel content alloy and so far after several years of testing
(myself and another mag shop) has yeilded excellent results.  The alloy
was selected to best match that of original Webster points.

Snip

bill lopoulos
magneto repair

Here is another note from Bill:

Common myth.  IGNITION points can be made from tungsten.  They are quite
hard.  We
have all used a diamond file or a stone to clean them.  IGNITER points
are soft.
Try cleaning an original set with a diamond file or stone.  You will
find that
clean very quickly.

bill l.