[SEL] "Premier" Engine??

sutter sutter6 at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 18 04:45:18 PST 2011

Thanks Eric - yep that is the engine!

The main difference between the engine I saw and your copies of the
advertisement is that the crankshaft is in line with the transporter and
cast base (not at a right angle as in your pics). The "flanges" on the
engine bolt to the cast base as in your pics but are turned around 90
degrees so the flywheel is in front of the tank and the other end of the
crankshaft is at the front of the transporter - the cast base still goes
lengthways down the transporter.

The transporter in your pics looks the same as the engine I saw but the
water tank is square and quite large with several baffles inside.

The owner said he got it off a cousin who had it on his property (has been
sitting outside for 30+ years). He has a Bosch magneto with it (DA4?)and
schebler carb. The timing gears were stripped so the owner has had 2 new
ones cut. The cylinder also has a frost crack in the water jacket but it is
on the second cylinder (valve side) which is "siamesed" to the main cylinder
sort of like a figure 8.

The ad says sizes 3 to 100 HP - I don't think there are too many 100HP
Premier engines around!

I will go and have a closer look and take some photos.

Rod Sutter
sutter6 at bigpond.net.au