[SEL] Trailer Update

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:44:51 PDT 2011

On 15 April 2011 17:24, Listerdiesel <listerdiesel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Been a while....

With the ferry to Holland booked for the 10th June, we are
accelerating the work on the trailer this week, and I'm spending
half-days on it during the week.

Carried on from yesterday, spent a few hours at the factory then left
Rita and the boys to look after things while I came back home. I'm on
mobile 24/7 so anyone can get hold of me, and it's only two streets
away if they need me there.

First job was to put the n/side vertical door panel in place and glued
in, that took a while as I couldn't get the closeness of cut I wanted
with the circular saw, so resorted to the grinder with cutting disc.

http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBChassis87.jpg

Then I started on fitting the floor outriggers. and quite fortuitously
the offcuts from the main honeycomb floor boards were exactly the
right size, so just needed the length to be trimmed. Serendipity or
what? :-))

http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBChassis86.jpg

The new nylon winch rope roller was made up this morning as well, we
bought a standard keel roller from Indespension, but the rubber roller
was too soft and wouldn't roll with a load on, so we made a new roller
out of Nylon and a new pin from brass. The pin was 7/16" diameter, but
we found an ebay supplier with some lengths so that was sorted.

http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBChassis88.jpg

http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBChassis91.jpg

The outrigger boards went down OK, the pictured side has three offcuts
used as we had them available, and that is underneath the
toilet/shower so won't be seen.

http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBChassis89.jpg

Lots of threatening clouds and a couple of showers, so had to work
under a tarp for most of the day.

http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/DBChassis90.jpg

Hope to get the roof on over the weekend, will be doing the wheelboxes
tomorrow. The honeycomb material will be used for these and the
divider/wall between the engine section and the living quarters. Great
stuff, strong and
light, but the dust and shavings are a problem, you need to wear
gloves and breathing mask when sawing.

The drawbar ramp is being designed in my head while this is going on,
we are using floor plank extrusion bolted to two 6" X 3£ X 1/2"
channels. It's going to be fairly light and very strong, we may get a
small cheapo winch to pull it up after use, 2000lb winches are just
over $US 100.

Other jobs in the pipeline are the roof drip rails, marker and rear
lights, a spare ball hitch on the front panel to park the drawbar on
to when the trailer is stopped etc.

The drawbar has gone back to the fabricators to correct a bit of
welding distortion. It wasn't too bad before the chassis was painted,
but since it went through the oven a couple of times it has got worse.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com