[SEL] Orings

Barry bdb at mchsi.com
Mon May 9 15:23:12 PDT 2011

Hi Curt... Several years ago I had a model engine that was named Irving.
When I would run the engine it would bark at out the back of the piston
which needless to say was not what I wanted to hear. So I took the piston
out and measure the bore and piston well the piston was round but the bore
was .003 out of round. I didn't want to bore and sleeve that small of engine
so I asked my Dad what can I do to fix this problem. He thought about it for
a day or two and called me. He asked if I had any O rings, I said I bought
one of the packages Harbor Freight sells so he said to clean and dry the
piston real good and then find an OF ring that would fit tight in the ring
groove. The little engine doesn't get very hot so that should work. After
putting the engine back together I found out the OF ring was to tight in the
bore so I took the piston out and chucked it up in my lathe. Luckily the O
ring was tight enough that it wouldn't turn on the piston and ran the lathe
at high speed. With real fine emery cloth I worked the O ring down till it
was just about .007 bigger than the piston. Put it together, started up and
it runs like it should. I burn white gas and use a little extra oil on the
piston.