[SEL] Radiator sizing question

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 07:39:02 PDT 2011

I need to pick your brains if I could.
We are rapidly approaching the time in our restoration of the powerhouse where we will need to build a radiator.
All we have are a room, piping sizes, 2 pumps, and a airplane propellor style fan.  Not much to work with.
We have 2 model 47 Fairbanks semi-diesel (or oil engines if you prefer), a 75hp single and a 150hp twin of 14x18 bore & stroke.
At the moment we plan on just operating under a light load but there is always the possibility of firing up the large alternators later on, so we need adequate cooling.  Our 55gal oil drum filled with water and a small pump just aren't going to cut the mustard in the long run, but has let us get the 75 up and running for short periods of time.
Anybody have any idea on what calculations we need, BTU's, GPM's, anything at all will be much appreciated.
We have finally been given permission to publish pictures and information on the powerhouse so if you wish to see them go to www.edenspringspark.com and poke 'power plant'.
Warning, this section was just started and does contain some errors and discrepencies, so please bear with us as we get things added and corrected.  Stop back often and see our progress.
Thanks in advance for any and all help, comments, jokes, questions, etc.
David