[SEL] O5 Style Hornsby

Russell russell at ncable.com.au
Thu Mar 24 22:33:44 PDT 2011

Gday to all
Some time ago, (like 4 or 5 years) I was able to do a deal on a 1905 3.5hp 05 style hornsby portable oil engine.  Dad and I completed a 3200 km round trip in 38 hours to Roma in Qld and back.  Well it was 100% seized solid but pretty well complete.  Some considerable damage to the water pump, rotten out bottom of the cooling tower. Well although not quite yet completed I'm very close to trying to start it up for the first time in many years. I spent countless hours getting the engine pulled down. The piston was once again a huge effort just in inself. The bore after cleaning up looks great, piston and rings cleaned up very well and will be used as is. The cooling tower now has a new bum thanks to dad, new plunger for the water pump. Welded up the cast iron bottom end of the water pump and re-alined the water pipes. Cleaned out years of crap from the exhuast port; valve chest and pipe.. One new pare of glasses and 2 black eyes for letting go of the air intake valve while cleaning it on a wire wheel; (it was not fun and I was pretty lucky to only suffer that with a small chipped bone on my knose) freeing up the side shaft and governing system was a team effort with a good freind. Well it really is starting to look like a neat engine to say the least. Will hopefully find some more spare time in the comming weeks to finish of the feul system and she should be ready to try and fire up.  regards Russell