[SEL] Subject: Re: International M 1.5hp

C. W. Jefferys Allen cwja at telus.net
Tue Jun 7 14:07:12 PDT 2011

Hi Joe;
I have found a very successful way of repairing and improving the action
of  International fuel pumps . I first make up a brass washer (or steel
if you keep oil on the pump plunger) that is a smooth fit of the inside
bore of the packing cavity and a smooth fit on the plunger shaft. Take
out all the worn out graphite packing string. Wrap the shaft with about
1/16 " thick of teflon thread tape for the entire length of the shaft
that is inside the packing cavity.  Then replace the graphite string
with plumbers teflon packing string to mostly fill the cavity and then
wrap agin with teflon thread tape to keep the whole thing together while
you put this newly pack plunger back into the plunger cavity. Make sure
you have put the plunger spring and new brass washer in place before
putting on the packing. Reassemble the pump and put on the engine. As
the pump works,  the spring pressure slowly compresses the teflon tape
and string to make a solid packing of pure teflon. The lubricating
property of the teflon makes it work inspite of gas which with the
graphite packing ofter washed out the graphite and makes your pump leak.
The teflon plug gets tighter and tighter on the shaft and acts as a
liquid tight seal like nothing else in the world and my pumps have never
leaked or been inoperative again over many years of doing this repair. A
squirt of oil once in a while on the plunger shafts keeps everything
working well. Make sure your check balls are clean and working when you
have the pump apart and the pump will work flawlessly. Hope this is of
some help.

Jeff Allen, Edmonton, Alberta Canada