[SEL] Old DC motors as generators

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 06:05:30 PDT 2011

Elwell-Parker was still in business last I knew.  Makers of very large (up to 250,000#) fork lift trucks.
Yes, DC will work both ways but depending on construction will work better one way or the other.  Starter-generators used on small engines are one example of this (they aren't really good at either but they're better than nothing).
Incadescent light bulbs don't care if it is AC or DC, they just want voltage.  Have fun with this, should make for a good display.
I am a fan of having engines doing SOMETHING.  That's what they were designed for.  I think it makes them happier.
David