[SEL] Old DC motors as generators

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 00:00:54 PDT 2011

On 11 July 2011 06:03,  <rdhaskell at juno.com> wrote:
> Hi all.  Over the years there have been very few questions that the lists
> haven't come up with an answer to.  So here is mine:  it seems that if
> you belt up an old DC brush motor it will charge.  I have even taken an
> auto windshield wiper motor and put it in an aluminum case so it looked
> like an old motor and it charged 6V or 12V depending on whether I tapped
> the slow or fast speed.  Now, yesterday I picked up an old 24V DC motor,
> nice brass tag says:  Elwell-Parker Electric Co. Cleveland Ohio, Class G,
> size 16, #3443, 24V.
> I looked this company up on Google, says they started making motors in
> 1893, and they supplied motors for Baker electric cars until 1915.
> I would like to power this with one of my old engines and light up a
> giant light bulb, doesn't need to be bright, just glow.
> Do you think this will do what I want?  What are your thoughts that this
> might be more valuable as the engine for an early Baker electric car?
> Thanks.
>
> Ron Haskell

Ron:

The machine will run as either a generator or a motor, but you will
need to sort out how the brushes and the field windings are connected.

I'd expect it to be shunt-wound, where the field windings are directly
across the brushes, but it could possibly be series wound, the field
is in series with one of the brushes, or compound-wound which is a
series-shunt combination.

Can't comment on the value ref the baker car, but it is always nice to
have something to load an engine.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes