[SEL] Off Topic: Mac owners - can you help?

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sat Jan 29 05:18:41 PST 2011

Hi all the Mac Owners out there,
         I need to set up 4 words (for a brass plate) in a Font called
"Zapfino Extra Pro Regular" ) (or Zapfino Extra Pro Forte) or "Zapfino
Extra Std one".

         This is a commercial font from Linotype and there are no free
downloads available of either Windows True Type or Adobe Type 1 fonts. I'm
loath to spend the money (quite expensive) to set up 4 words (and sell 1
plate).

         I believe that the font is standard on Mac computers.  Is there a
Mac user out there who is relatively proficient at graphics who could set
it up for me and mail it to me. (I do not want the whole font - I cannot
use it unless it is in Windows True Type format) - just the 4 words.

         You need to understand a bit about graphics because I want it in a
Vector format  (that means "lines" not Raster (bitmap/pixels) to all others
who are wondering). I need to get it into Corel Draw X14 or my CAD
programme as lines so that I can edit it.

         The easiest file formats that I can import are (.dxf), (.plt),
(.wmf), .(cdr - CorelDraw, any version up to X14 but you need to "convert
to curves" before saving the file).

         I can also import Adobe Illustrator (.ai) and (.eps) but sometimes
these are saved as "bitmaps" and would not help me - they must retain the
vectors (lines) and I do not know how to explain to Mac users the correct
way to do this. Also, CorelDraw X14  sometimes has difficulty importing
from the very latest versions of Illustrator.

         Failing all of the above you could set the words up very big and
save it as a high resolution .PDF file.

         Because there are  least 4 variations of the Zapfino  font - I
have put a .jpg sample here <http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/ba.jpg>
of the one I need  - those are also the words I need in upper and lower
case as per the pic.

         I could of course just redraw this but it would take me a few
hours and I've got a lot of other artwork to draw so It would help a lot if
someone could just e-mail this one to me.

         Many thanks in advance - sorry about the "Off Topic" but it is for
a brass spec plate to go into a Bentley car that someone in the USA is
building.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>