[SEL] Stainless Bolts

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 03:20:11 PST 2011

On 11 February 2011 22:53, Basson W D <wdbasson at adam.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> If you are using stainless bolts in a load bearing way please be advised
> that they are not High Tensile and you should check that they are going to
> be strong enough for the job!!!
>
> Cheers for now
>
> Denis

Thanks for the comments everyone, the 30mm diameter bolt shanks are
used for the drawbar pivot, 2 of them, and are in shear not in
tension.

Looking at dynamic loadings we should have 300% or more safety factor.

They are just pins now, we chopped the threaded bit off and are using
5mm diameter stainless R clips to hold them in place. There is a 30mm
ID steel bush in the front axle frame on both sides to take the pin,
each bush is 50mm (2") long with grease nipples.

Each pin is prevented from rotating by a welded on block against of
the the hexagon flats on the head.

We use a lot of stainless fasteners at the factory, in fact we are
nearly 100% stainless now and keep M2 up to M12 on the shelf.

Regular stainless nuts and spring washers aren't a problem, it is
Nylocs in stainless that cause most galling problems for us.

Our old trailer has has M12 bolts holding the coupling and axles in
place and we have not touched them in 12 years, other than the
occasional tightness check.

Thanks again for the interest.
--
Peter A Forbes