[SEL] Piston Ring Size

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Fri Dec 9 09:34:32 PST 2011

Kerry,
I don't know if this would be helpful, but I documented rings I made for a
couple of engines back in '09. The gap was ,625. On the diameter that
works to about 0.2". So the rings were about 0.2" larger than the bore in
the relaxed condition.

The measurements you describe sound about right. I question the material
and the radial thickness. As I recall I used Grade 30 cast iron. That
30,000 psi material. Nice and soft.

See
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/MakingPistonRings/Thumbnails.html>

Curt Holland