[SEL] Maytag 92 Coil

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 20:50:12 PDT 2011

Paul,
Here is quick way to check the ignition system on a Maytag Model  92.

Open the points.
Make sure the spark plug end of the high  tension lead is about 3/16" from
the block. The spark plug may be used if  grounded to the block.
Momentarily apply 9 volts (battery) across the  points.
A good coil and condenser will give a  blue spark.

The primary coil resistance is about 2.2 ohms. The secondary (high
tension) coil resistance is about 9500 ohms using the same ground point as the
primary side. These resistance readings are not absolute and vary slightly from
 coil to coil.

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, Ca

In a message dated 4/29/2011 7:53:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,