[SEL] OT Carrie Blast Furnaces - Pittsburgh, PA

Rick Rowlands rowlands1941 at roadrunner.com
Thu Apr 28 05:06:37 PDT 2011

For the past month I have been actively volunteering with Rivers of Steel to
assist in the preservation of the Carrie blast furnace plant in Rankin, PA.
The Carrie furnaces area pair of ironmaking blast furnaces, built in 1906
and operated until 1978.  If you like big stuff made of metal, its hard to
find a more fascinating place.
http://news.webshots.com/album/578647201kosHYJ

ROS acquired the plant last year after twenty years of off and on
negotiations, and now have their hands full in preserving the site. I have
permission to organize a volunteer work crew to assist in the preservation
work, and am looking for a few able bodied people who would be interested in
joining our work crew and help fight the battle against corrosion and
neglect.

Some of the projects that we will be tackling this summer include:
1) Closing up and securing the blowing engine house and establishing a
workshop inside.
2) Cutting brush and trees around the property to improve the appearance of
the plant.
3) Restoration of some equipment on site to operation for visitor
demonstrations
4) Cleaning around the bases of the steel columns and making repairs to
ensure the structural stability of the plant.
5) Mending fences. (yes literally, its a daily chore)
6) Building handrails, railings, repairing stairs and platforms etc.

Volunteers do not need to have any skills, just the willingness to help out.

Engine related content:  I'm negotiating to move the 1905 Westinghouse
Corliss steam engine from Steubenville to the Carrie Furnaces for display.
150 ton, 18' flywheel cross compound generating engine.

We will hold our first Saturday work session sometime in May, depending on
volunteer availabiliy.  If interested in joining us please contact me and
I'll put you on the list.  I feel so strongly about this project, and have
such a sense of urgency that I've postponed some of my planned 2011 projects
at the Tod Engine Heritage Park to spend as many days as possible at Carrie
this year.

 If you are local to Pittsburgh an can volunteer on a regular basis that is
great.  If you would be coming in from out of town for a one time visit that
is good too.  I may be able to provide short term lodging at the "Rowlands'
Bed and Breakfast" to wayward travelers.

Thanks and I hope you can join us.

Rick Rowlands
rick at todengine.org
330-272-4089