[SEL] OT IH M tractor question for a friend

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Apr 26 08:55:31 PDT 2011

I got this from our car forum, a friend is asking...... any M and Super M
experts here??

Hey Guys, I hauled a '53 Farmall Super M home last weekend. It has been
sitting unused for about 30 years and the engine, of course, is seized. I
have found a running engine but it is from a regular M tractor. I've
searched online and I'm fairly certain the engines are the same. The only
exception is, the Super M has a live hydraulic pump in with the
distributor drive and the regular M does not. A regular M has the
hydrualic pump mounted under the belly of the tractor back on the
transmission. I'm wondering if the live hydraulic pump from the Super M
can be mounted on the distributor drive section of the regular M engine?
I'm hoping there is a Farmall M expert here that can help me out. The
engine I'm looking to buy is super cheap for a running tractor engine and
if it will work on my Super M like normal I want to buy it as quickly as
possible before someone else does. Knowing if the hydraulic pump will bolt
to the M engine is the only thing keeping me from buying it.