[SEL] OT: Physics Help

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Fri Apr 8 06:37:52 PDT 2011

On Apr 7, 2011, at 8:49 AM, Orrin B Iseminger wrote:

> You can do it, too, Devin.  The most important thing for you to
> remember is to plug not only numbers into your equations; but, words as
> well.  If you do that, problems solve themselves.  For instance:

Orrin, are you sure you're not teaching Devin about Chemistry, and not Physics? The reason I ask is that concept is what I took with me after being paroled from Miss Holey's high school chemistry class. The lady was so mean, that rather than kick insubordinate teenagers out of her class, she would keep us there and cruelly inflict Chemistry upon us.

Upon me, she caused permanent scarring. To this day, I still suffer a variant of Stockholm Syndrome, where I am obsessive about adding labels to every item in an equation. While figuring out anything complex enough to require pencil and paper, I compulsively add labels. If someone comes to me with a problem that is not properly labeled, I do not even want to talk to them until they properly construct the equation.

Devin, even if the math is simple, add the labels. Your equations will be self-checking. If your labels end up all screwy, you know that you goofed it up. If your labels end up just as you expect, it's an indication that you've done a good job.