[SEL] Question

Eric Walter eric at facspro.com
Tue Apr 5 13:16:45 PDT 2011

Bill, Mark, Dave et al,

Thanks for the welcome and info.
 Dave - I've been to the link that you provided and understood the schematic
but for some reason I couldn't "visualize" the physical placement of
components necessary to make it work.

Mark - It took your description for it to finally click. I was then able to
understand the parts manual a little better and find the brackets and points
for the stationary timer and movable timer. Unfortunately now I think I have
a hybridized engine or.....
was there 3 versions of the Type E? Igniter/Magneto, Sparkplug/Magneto and
Sparkplug/Coil?
The reason I ask is while deciphering the JD parts manual, it appears that I
have the incorrect crank case cover for a Sparkplug/coil setup.  I have
cover with casting# E60R which has the cutout area where the mag and gear
assembly attaches. It looks as if someone has fabricated an opening cover
that bolts in place where the mag should bolt on. I think I should have part
# AE117RT cast# E33R as my crankcase cover.

Bill - Any pictures of the D? What year is it? Jacob(my son) and I have a
variety of A's and B's in various stages of disrepair being restored or
waiting to be restored.The list includes:
    Jacob's -- 1937 Unstyled B on Steel(restored), 1941 Styled B (needs
restored), 1944 Styled B(restored), 1947 Styled B(needs restored), 1940
Styled A(needs restored), Model 227 TwoRow Corn Picker(needs restored), and
a Stationary Hay Press (model and year unknown) we think a Model 14 but we
still need to get to Oklahoma to pick it up.
   Eric's -- 1941 Styled A(needs restored), 1944 Styled A(in process), 1944
Slant Dash A (runs but needs restored), 1927 Type E Engine(needs restored)
There are other miscellaneous implements that we have between us that we
have dug out of the treeline or picked up for cheap at auction. As you can
see by the lists, Jacob (16yrs) is the more avid collector of the two of us.
As for my location--- I'd venture a guess that you have me in the NW, say
the Seattle area. That would be someone else, I'm about 1500 miles SE of
there. Central Nebraska, and the only initials that have ever followed my
name have been p.i.t.a.!!

I'm sure I've missed addressing something or someone but I'm sure I'll have
that chance in the future.
And I apologize for the long winded response.

Thanks again and I look forward to learning from this list.

Eric Walter