[SEL] WOW-magneto charger

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 2 23:26:12 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Young" <wmlyoung at yahoo.com>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2011 6:46 AM
Subject: Re: [SEL] WOW-magneto charger

Dave-san, Bill Young here ( Japan )
I, too, kluged up a magnet charger which was also very effective. ( It
magnetized almost every iron tool in the shop. ) The local power company was
renewing 3 phase step-down transformers that had been serving small
neighborhoods. I bought one for about $50. With canister and oil ( bad
stuff )
it weighed over 100kg. I took out coils and core and let drain and dry for
about a year. I had to replace original laminated toroid core with "U"
shaped
core.
Then, I got all all coils on one side ( both primary and secondary
windings )
pumping North, and on the other side pumping South. Next, I bought two heavy
duty 12v truck batteries, hooked them in series, through a knife switch to
the
charger. No idea the current thru the coils but it must have looked like a
direct short to the batteries. All of the near-by tools stood at wedding
attention during the three two-second jolts that were applied.
At that time I did not have a Gauss meter but had made what I dubbed as my
Gauss Quantifier. It was a notched lever arm that was hooked to armature of
EK
that had been charged. The farther out on the arm a given weight could be
suspended before pulling armature away from EK magnet, the better the
re-magnetizing job.
My charger was a bit expensive but after a number of years usage, another EK
nut bought it for what I had in it. Bill
P.S. Where is Warrington?
wmyoung at juno.ocn.ne.jp

Thanks for that Bill.It has always seem to work OK for me!
Warrington is half way between Liverpool and Manchester in
the North west of England.
If you have Google Earth look for "Warrington WA5 1PY UK"
to find my address. I couldn't manage nowadays without Google Earth!
My deepest sympathy to everyone in Japan!
Dave Croft.
Warrington.
http://oldengine.org/members/croft/
http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv