[SEL] Cummins Engine Problem

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Tue Sep 21 11:49:00 PDT 2010

Hi Rick,

You do have the MOST interesting problems!!  8-))

On Tue, September 21, 2010 1:22 pm, Rick Rowlands wrote:

Plan B:
> Some of the issues with doing this would be whether it would be better to try to
> clean up the journal as much as possible, put in a new liner, disconnect the
> injector and engage the compression release on that cylinder,

Plan A:
> or to remove the
> connecting rod, tie the piston and rod out of the way and install a machined clamp
> that would provide some of the weight of the rod and seal off the oil hole.

If it was me with this problem and you didn't have access to anything that could
pull or push this loco two miles down the track; I think I'd do a modified Plan A.
Pull the head and pull that piston & rod.  Then go for it.  Other wise, Plan B.

See ya,  Arnie

PS - It's only fair to remind you that I'm a professional nuclear engineer and I
have zero experience with big diesels.

PPS - OTOH, I did waive my normal consulting fee.  8-))