[SEL] Our annual show

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun Sep 5 15:49:00 PDT 2010

Hi All,
	It's quite late here and I got back from our annual club show an hour or
so back. Webpage and pics will follow in a few days, I'm not as organised
as Patrick who has show reports up within 24
hours - this is Africa and things take a bit longer :-)

	The purpose of this mail is just to say what a great weekend I had. Since
I joined this hobby a few years back I have never ceased to be amazed by
the really great people I've met. Firstly, on the 2 lists that this mail
goes to and then to the local guys I've met. I've often said "Engine guys
are the greatest" and this weekend just proved my point once again. I met
up with old friends again and met many new friends (the hobby is really
growing here).

	Our show was fantastic but allow me first to explain that we do not have
anywhere as many engines as in the USA, Britain or Aus., - we are "small
fry" when it comes to "numbers" but the cameraderie and friendship shared
and experienced is as great as any of you will ever experience.

	What a fantastic hobby !! I'm on a "HIGH" right now (which has very little
to do with my consumption of "adult beverages" :-) - I have just had such a
great time meeting up with "enginemen" and their ladies - what great people
- real "salt of the earth" people.

	I would also like to say (again) thanks to all you friends on these lists
(although I've never met you personally) you are all "the greatest". Thanks
for all the friendship, all the help that is so readily given, the
cameraderie and just for being what or who you are - "enginemen" (and of
course your "engine" ladies).

	A message to my special list friend Reg, I hope one of our Yankee friends
shows you this mail. "Reggie" the little "Alfa Laval" Ronnie "N" that you
found for me was a STAR. Since I managed to sort out his flywheel problem
he has behaved himself perfectly. He ran for PERFECTLY for both days  of
the show - he never missed a beat (that distinctive Ronnie "N" sound).
Spectators made all the right "OOh & AAgh" sounds. He even outperformed his
buddy "Rusty" (my Ruston and Hornsby PT) who is my "flagship engine' but
seems to have gathered some dirt in his carb which I will sort out next
week. "Reggie" stole the show - and that's in spite of the fact that Arnie
said that "If I name him "Reggie" I should expect trouble" :-)

	That's it for now.
Please all keep well,
Jerry