[SEL] PEX & Chemical Resistance

P. Johns enginepaul at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 16:27:46 PDT 2010

Thanks Bruce . . .
But you say easy? = 47 pages!
Anyway their disclaimer starts:

"Chemicals that do not normally affect the properties of an

Unstressed thermoplastic may cause completely different

Behavior (such as stress cracking) when under thermal or

Mechanical stress (such as constant internal pressure or

Frequent thermal or mechanical stress cycles).

*Unstressed immersion test chemical resistance information*

*Is applicable only when the thermoplastic pipe will not be*

*Subject to mechanical or thermal stress that is constant*
*Or cycles frequently*."

The amount of oil going into a Pex line should be minimal. especially if the
first section, up to a vertical rise, is metal. I would still consider the
sunlight - and some florescent - light problem.

I may look into this a little further because PEX may be the way to go, but
for now I'd say copper would be a sure thing as it is tried and true.

Paul in California