[SEL] OT! Electrical troubleshoting

Bob Willman blcksmth at wcnet.org
Thu Oct 28 13:02:33 PDT 2010

	I assumed that you were using a toner to follow the signal from the
wire underground. That signal tracing device is easily fooled by high
resistance connections. You must isolate the wires completely at both ends
but even then if the wires are close together for any distance the tone will
show up on the adjacent conductors. If you get the pick-up close to the
individual wires (underground in your case) you may be able to tell when the
signal is lost - it will be louder near that wire. Sounds like a good time
to lay new wires in plastic conduit.

Bob Willman
The Eagle's Anvil
WB8NQW
Bowling Green, Ohio

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson