[SEL] SEL Digest, Vol 79, Issue 9

Elden edurand at mchsi.com
Mon Oct 11 07:05:01 PDT 2010

Jerry:

There's no reason you can't charge three IDENTICAL 12 volt
batteries in series with your gensets.  Usually, on 32 volt DC
systems, there is a way to either shift the brushes or adjust
field current up a little to 41.4 volts (the nominal terminal
voltage for a 90% fully charged lead-acid battery).

Just remember that the weaker cells in the string will overcharge
or, if a cell or two is shorted, the rest of the string will be
overcharged.  If you can get at the individual cell connectors,
measure the voltage to make sure that they don't exceed 2.35
volts for any appreciable time.

I'll bet that's more than you wanted to know about battery
charging!    :-)

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand